Bovi-Bond urethane adhesive, from USA, is a proven system for attaching blocks to the healthy claw of lame cows’ hooves. Bovi-Bond does not need any special skill to mix and apply. The secret is in the double-barrel 160ml adhesive cartridge and the special dispensing gun. This system ensures that the two parts of the adhesive mixture are kept separate until they merge in the mixing tip. After treating the affected claw, the healthy claw is trimmed to leave a clean, flat and dry surface. Follow the instructions below for preparation of the cartridge for loading into the dispensing gun. Apply about 20ml (a 3mm-thick layer) to the clean hoof surface. Press the block lightly onto the adhesive, and hold still for 30 seconds. The block will wear off or break off naturally, by which time, if you repaired it correctly, the affected claw should have made a recovery. Bovi-Bond adhesive sets in approximately 30 seconds after application of the block. It can be load-bearing after 2 or 3 minutes (or slightly longer in cold weather). The 8-pack set above contains the adhesive cartridge plus 8 mixing tips and 8 blocks. The dispensing gun must be purchased separately. After opening, the Bovi-Bond adhesive cartridge must be used within one year. Blocks are 124mm long.
Unscrew the protective cap (save)
Remove the tube plug by pulling outwards (save). (This may require pliers.)
Screw the mixing tip onto the cartridge and dispense glue onto block (or claw)
After use leave tip in place until next requirement
For next use glue in tip will be set. Unscrew and discard, replace with new tip
Walkease is the internationally-renowned hoof repair block from Shoof International Ltd. Walkease has been created as an early-intervention hoof claw prosthetic. It is not intended to replace other conventional claw shoes currently on the market. The Walkease block is made from flexible EVA material, that is soothing for the cow to walk on. The greatest advantage of the Walkease is its speed and ease of application. The Starter Kit comprises 10 Walkease blocks, 10 tubes of special Walkease ‘superglue’ (211 648), a special Walkease hoof rasp (203 624) and 10 pairs of latex gloves, all packed in a useful resealable plastic container. The wedge blocks are very helpful for putting the cow’s weight forward in cases of worn-down heel. (See further information this page.) For further use extra blocks are available in a 10-pack box. Extra glue is also available. A practical ‘first-purchase’ would be the ‘mixed sizes’ starter kit (212 102). This has blocks as follows: 3 x small, 3 x medium and 4 x large. This will allow the user to determine the preferred block size for their own herd.
Walkease blocks can be used either way up, so suit both left and right claws. The block should stay on from 7-21 days, which is generally long enough for the treated claw to have made a recovery in cases where the trauma was relatively mild.
Learn more about Walkease.
Walkease glue is now supplied in 2ml aluminium foil tubes in a dispenser pack. These give maximum life to the glue. Each tube is ideal for one block application. The seal on the tube is pierced by screwing the cap down tight. The tip protector is then removed for the glue to flow from the extended tip. The tube can be resealed if all the glue is not used.
1. After ascertaining and treating the injured claw, clean and trim the healthy claw until the Cowslip is a good fit.
2. Wipe the claw with acetone or methylated spirits if required, to dry it completely.
3. Mix the liquid and powder ingredients in the Cowslip until consistent.
4. Press the Cowslip firmly onto the healthy claw. Tap the toe firmly to ensure the fit is tight.
5. Leave the foot raised for 2-3 minutes to ensure glue is set, then lower to a load-bearing position for another 2-3 minutes. The cow can then be released.
The Shoof is purposefully constructed in a very open manner. This allows the hoof to “breathe” which is essential for a fast recovery. The medication and bandage supplied with the Shoof are also essential for successful treatment.
The Shoof copper-sulphate medication is effective in curing and hardening the hoof-horn, even in the worst conditions. The special Shoof bandage supplied acts like a filter, keeping dirt out and the copper-sulphate in, even if the animal is walking in very bad conditions (eg: dairy farm roads and yards, and muddy paddocks).
Cattle Shoof can be re-used many times with our Shoof Refill-Kit components. Non-standard bandage or medication may cause failure of Shoof. Each Cattle Shoof will last years of re-use.
1. Shoof copper-sulphate medication sachet
2. Shoof special conforming 10cm elastic bandage
3. Shoof replacement tie-string
1. The affected claw is examined and treated as required to ensure a fast recovery.
2. The non-affected claw is cleaned and trimmed to a natural shape, compatible with the Easy Bloc.
3. Set the Easy Bloc into the specially designed holder in the package lid, where the glue components are easily added and mixed.
4. Remove Easy Bloc from holder and apply to the healthy claw. Leave in place two to three minutes.
5. Release the cow. Easy Bloc should be removed after 3-4 weeks, if it has not shed naturally.
Easy Bloc powder and liquid are also available separately in 12-pack quantities.